2/7/12

DIY Fabric Flag Garland

My little man's 1st birthday party is coming up in just 10 short days! I decided on a "Mustache Bash" theme! I am sooooooooooooo excited! I was going to buy all the supplies I needed but it was really starting to add up. So of course I decided to just make them myself---duh! Ha! Here is the first item I made. 
(I will post tutorials for all the items I make so make sure you follow my blog and get them all!!) 

Fabric Flag Garland


What You'll Need:

-Six coordinating fabric (7" by 6")
-Bias tape (I used Wrights 1/2" Wide-4 yrds. in Off White)
-Sewing machine
-Scissors

(All seems are 1/4")

Step One: 

Cut four 7"x6" of each fabric. Total of 48 pieces.


Fold your first piece in half. Draw a strait line from top edge (Shorter width of fabric-6") to the bottom center. Cut along the line to make a triangle. You can then use that triangle as a pattern for the rest of your pieces. 



Step Two:

Sewing the pieces together! Place two (matching) fabric pieces together, right sides facing each other. Sew the two slanted sides. Make sure you leave the top (6" end) open! Trim seams to 1/8 of an inch and trim tip.



Turn. Press.

Step Three:

Binding! Now measure your bias tape according to how long you want your ends (the part where you pin or tie). I measured about 10 inches for mine. Fold in half and start pinning your flags to the inside of the bias tape. Sew as close to the edge of the bias tape as you would like.



1 comment: